Prelude: Choices

    Every good action can be taken too far.

    Every good intention pushed to the bring of evil.

    Maybe the phrase "Too much of a good thing is a bad thing" is a proper fit for this situation.

    Such a light-hearted phrase back then.

    But then, everything back then was different.



     It was never supposed to come to this....



     One man's dream. One man's ambition.

    A force that truly has the power to change the course of history.

     I suppose I never thought it could lead to such... catastrophic results.

    One man. One dream.

    Taken too far.

    Pushed beyond limits that very few have even dared to cross.

    But, what was I to do? My dream had led me into a place of power. People were watching. Anticipating. Pushing.

    Now, there will be no one left to watch. No one to pay a second mind to my existence.

    I watch in front of me as the sky ignites into a vivid orange, blinding. The landscape is engulfed as the blast spreads across its radius. Buildings instantaneously uprooted to the lie flat on the ground. The ground itself seeming to scream out as it is reformed by the impact. A mushroom shaped cloud rises from the center, signaling the initial drop of the bomb.

    The sound is deafening. The heat picking at my face.

     I make no effort avoid any damages this nuclear explosion will bring. I make no effort to move myself from my perch, sitting above the cataclysm. No. I brought this, and I must bear witness to it. There will be no running. My fate has been sealed.

    The last bit of a song appears in my head. "And in this twilight, our choices seal our fate." I let out a small smirk at the irony. 

    As a second, closer explosion signals the drop of second bomb, I turn my head and close my eyes against the blinding light.

    As I wait for my inevitable death, the 34 years of my life play through my mind, like a movie, in the last precious seconds I have left on this earth.....

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Path to Yesterday: Back Cover

A step Forward

Chapter 1: A restless night