Desperate Rescue

                He strained his arms as he put all his might into pulling her up, the tightness of her grip almost breaking his hand. Only when he began to pull, did he see how far off the ground was from this cliff, and how very important it was to have made sure she did not hit the bottom. He looked into her eyes, and saw that panic and fear that were filling them, but he saw something else, and he wasn't too sure what it was.

       He didn't have time to register it though. He could only think of making sure she was on the safe ground again. He raised up to one knee as he got her higher. He could hear the scratching of her feet as she desperately tried to gain a bit of grip on the rock wall right beside her. As he got higher, the scratching became less frantic, until at last she managed a foot on the top, and gained her footing back on solid ground.
     
           And suddenly, their lips were pressed together.

          He didn't have time to think, had barely just registered how relieved he was that he could have helped her, when she had very suddenly pulled him into her.

       For a few seconds (which seemed like hours), he just stood there, hands held chest high at his side, almost as if he were going to defend himself. He couldn't think of anything but how her lips were moving against his, frantic, desperate, longing for every second that this would carry on. He didn't dislike the feeling at all, but was just caught off guard.
 
     After those long few seconds, he reacted by closing his hands on her back and head, and moving his lips in unison with hers, which had switched from frantic, to a more comfortable motion. He squeezed her closer, and felt her breathe deeply as he did so.

         He didn't know how long they had stayed there like that, their fingers tangled in each other's hair, the warmth of the sudden passion being the only thing between the two of them, he only knew that he didn't want it to stop. And for a long time, it seemed as though it wouldn't.

        After countless minutes (hours?), their lips slowed and their grips loosened until their faces begun to separate. He could feel every inch of her lips leaving his, and it left his lips feeling cold. When they had completely separated, she moved both of her hands to his lower back and rest the side of her face on his chest. He then laid his cheek on her hair, and rested like that for another eternity.

      Finally, his curiosity broke and so did the silence as he whispered "I don't understand."  

    She took her head away from his chest, and stepped to where his arms were almost fully extended, hers as well. He looked into the diamonds that were her eyes, as she whispered "I don't either."
 
    She stayed silent for a second, and just when he thought he would never be relieved from this confusion, she took his hand, and weaved her fingers through his, and squeezed gently and said, "All I know is when you grabbed my hand to keep me from pulling, something inside of me said to never let go."
   
     "Of course you would never want me to let go, you surely---"

    "Not because I knew you letting go would kill me," she interrupted, "It was.... more then that. I watched you as you jumped for me. There wasn't a second hesitation, even though I could have pulled you to your doom too. I could see in your eyes the determination, could feel the strength in your hands, and it just... triggered an emotion that overcame me. I never wanted you to let go. For that moment, it didn't matter to me if you ever pulled me up, as long as your hands stayed on me. It was such a strong feeling, I never thought anything like that would ever go through my mind, and it overpowered me and took me over once I got back on the ground. I'm sorry if this comes on as a bit.... much.... It's just how I feel."

       He laughed out loud, and when he saw the reproach in her eyes, came back with "Well, a thank you would have been more then sufficient!!!" When he saw that she had found no humor in this, he squeezed her hand, and said "There's nothing to be sorry for. Trust me. I'm just glad you are o.k. I don't think I've ever had a bigger scare in my life then watching you disappear below the ground. I could have never let you go when I caught you, and I can't particularly say that I can let you go right now, either."

        He smiled, a sincere smile, and watched as her face transformed into the same kind of smile. He thought he had never seen anything so beautiful in the world as that one smile, and he didn't think he would ever see anything more beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Path to Yesterday: Back Cover

A step Forward

Chapter 1: A restless night