The Way Home

It was a late night party. There was a great amount drinking and I was more then tempted to drink that night. However, I had to go home that night, and I was supposedly the designated driver, so alcohol had never moistered my lips.

The same could not be said for my friends. I watch in disgust as they continue to make fools of themselves, and dance around the room, constantly knocking over the expensive objects my friend's parents had taken so much time to buy and pay for.\

If my friend thought that he was going to get away with this party, he would have to turn back time.

It's funny. Most of my friends constantly brag about how tough they are, and how they can handle so much, but you take few beers, and suddenly all regard for what may be around them is destroyed.

Maybe it was just thier nature. I don't know. I know it's hard to keep yourself under control, when surrounded by friends. Constantly under the pressure of trying to impress them. Unfortunately, alcohol dilutes your mind even further, by making you think that you have to be a complete dumbass.

The signs of the end of the party are shown when several people have collapsed on various places across the living room. Being sober, it was a pitiful sight. How I wish I could enjoy the party as well as them. But, I have to put my life before my enjoyment.

Walking to the two closest couches, I shake the friends I promised a ride home to awake. They look at me, and groan and grunt and complain about not wanting to get up. Of course, I thought, why would this be easy. I explained to them that I was tired, and that I would not got home without them. They, of course, just stated that I could sleep there. Yeah, asshole, but I want to sleep in the comfort of my own bed. Those were nearly my thoughts, which were screaming to leave my head.

Eventually, I was able to convince them that it was better for them to sleep at home, and convince them that their parents would not be aware of their state. I was probably lying. I didn't care. I wanted to go home, and these drunkards were my responsibility.

When I had finally managed to shove all of them into my little Honda Accord, bought for gas efficiency, (putting the least vulgar of the three next to me) I eased out of the driveway, and headed towards their houses.

The drive was awful. The one I had set next to me tended to be the sheep of the group, listening to the inconsistent babble of the one behind him, constantly adjusting my stereo system to ridiculous levels, and trying, in a very miserable way, to sing along with every song they knew. At the command of his charming pal, he grabbed my steering wheel and attempted to take our lives and drive us into a tree. More out of reaction, I balled my fist up and bloodied up his lip, and told him to calm the fuck down. With much bitching, he calmed down and let me drive. I took him home first. Then his friend, who, after watching my violent retaliation, did not want to feel his lip bloody up as well. Or maybe he was just passing out again, I don't know. I don't really care.

When he very slowly stumbled his way to his house, I drove off, and lost myself in thoughts. Why am I where I am today? Why do I surround myself with these idiots, only to be their taxi? I am in college, trying to begin my life and become the person I want to be. I keep up on my homework, and have a part time job. These people don't even think twice about their homework. Yet, I still associate myself with them. I'm christian, and while I don't think a beer or two here and there is bad, I don't believe in getting drunk. I've seen what it does to people. I want nothing to do with lifestyle.

But, I care for my friends.

If I was not there, they may not have had a ride home. They are my friends, and I didn't want to make them stay at a place that was so uncomfortable. Plus, I didn't know if they were inclined to drive themselves, if not for me. I would never allow myself to be guilt free if anything ever happened to one of them, because I was too lazy to wait for them at the party.

A cop drove by. Maybe they had heard of the party, and were going to go break them up. A little late, I would think. There were some underage drinkers there, and they were pretty roudy, but the big part of the party was over. Probably be a few arrests, after the chaos of desperate attempts to escape. A few arrested for underage drinking. A lot more for supplying minors. Maybe some disturbance of peace. Nothing that will destroy lives.

I slammed on my breaks. What if they hadn't gone to the party? What if someone from the party had decided that they had to go home, not taking the initiative to think about other people on the road?

I pulled a U-turn and headed back to the house. It was only ten minutes, and I could just check to see if they were all still there, and if the cops were actually there. Just so I could sleep well tonight.

 My thoughts were lost in the many people who could possibly be involved in the car wreck when I saw the bright lights flash into my cab. I didn't have time to respond. Suddenly, I was lifted up in the air, and tossed about my cabin. I had no idea which direction was up. I could hear metal twisting and breaking around me. There was tiny crystal flying about the cab. Glass.

I could feel nothing. I just knew what was happening was horrific.

I didn't know when we I had come to stand still. I was on a metal surface, face up. Something was pushing against my stomach, restricting my movements. It was my car seat...

My vision started to blur... my thoughts were becoming distant....

Suddenly, I saw black.

...............

I started to hear commotion around me. So many voices. Some calm, some upset, even with tears. I didn't know what was going on. It felt like a distant dream I was part of.

Then the pain came. So much pain. It hit with such a force. My eyes popped open, and I let out a shriek. The second I moved, a new face was in mine, telling me that I had to stay still. My back felt like it had been bent on a jagged rock. I didn't know what angle my neck had been bent to, but I know it wasn't normal.

I wanted to tear my skin off. The pain was searing. I could see my arm. It was bent three ways. I felt sick. The stranger was trying to hold me still. I couldn't comply. I could feel every cell in my body. The man, the paramedic, was begging me to stay still. I wanted to comply, my body hurt with every jerk I made. I let out a shriek here and there, and wished desperately to stop it all.

He got someone else over to me, and they successfully held me down.

As I laid there, I remembered the lights. I remembered why I was driving. I wanted so badly to go home, and lay in bed. Not to lay here, screaming in pain.

Terror filled my heart, when I realized the inevitable. The pain was too much. My neck was broken, and my back was badly injured. My body had taken a great amount of abuse, and the feeling was overwhelming.

I looked into the paramedic eyes, and there was pain and sorrow. I looked around. No familiar faces.

I started to cry as the feeling began to creep itself into my mind. I wanted to go home, I wanted to see my parents. I wanted to see my friends. I wanted to sleep. I wanted the pain to go away. I didn't want to have the last face I see be this paramedic's.

I thought of my girlfriend. Her warnings rang in my head, taunting me. I shouldn't have gone. I should have stayed. Stayed with her. Now, I will never hear her voice again, see her beautiful face. Never my mother, or father. My best friends.

All the time I spent working at school, all my dreams, all I have ever done. It ends tonight. My relationships, my goals...

I cried harder as the pain started to numb me up. I could feel life leaving my body, slowly... it wasn't too long. I stopped struggling. I looked the paramedic in the eye, whose eyes betrayed sorrow, and knew I was going to die.

I looked over, in a last attempt for a familiar face and found a friend from the party... he was surrounded by cops. He looked... out of it. He didn't know what was going on. He had handcuffs on, but was completely oblivious.

Anger overcame the sorrow as another horrific idea crossed my head. My car, my life, it was all taken by him. The cops busted the party and he drove off.

I went back to look for him and his friends, to make sure they were o.k. and this is what happens to me! He takes my life, because he couldn't stand the idea of jail! My life was forfeit because of him!!

The cheap bastard couldn't even walk, or get a cab! My life.. for what...

As they put him in the cop car, blackness swallows my vision, as I pray one last time, wishing I could have someone hold me as I lay on this cold concrete...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Path to Yesterday: Back Cover

A step Forward

Chapter 1: A restless night